A Note From Ms. Sickler
Week one, check! Thank you for your support, patience, and grace as we worked together to provide ways for your child to connect, learn, and find joy this week. Even with the buildings being mostly empty of students, it was still pretty special to see the energy that radiated through computer screens. I was able to “see” students as a mystery reader, check out reading spots on SeeSaw, and learn about students sharing during small group times. Check out this “sneak peek” of just one of our hallways during a learning block…
Students who are in a hybrid/in-person teaching class, please read this important message:
The week of September 21st will be an asynchronous week of instruction for our K-5 learners. Teachers will be reaching out to schedule a time to complete your child’s Screening #1- Individual Reading Assessment (Running Record). This one on one time with your child will offer valuable feedback and insight to drive literacy instruction. For this week, your child will have more asynchronous lessons to allow your teacher to be able to meet with students in person or virtually for the screening. You can still expect your child’s classroom and specials teachers to schedule live touchpoints (more details to follow) with the class, provide meaningful learning opportunities for students, and offer feedback via Seesaw.
There will be a second screening assessment, Screening #2 (Acadience), that will be coordinated when students are back in-person during the hybrid period.
Students who are in a fully virtual teaching class, please read this message:
The week of September 21st will be an asynchronous week of instruction for our K-5 learners to allow Saline Area Schools virtual students to complete two academic screenings. For this week, your child will have more asynchronous lessons to allow your teacher to be able to meet with students in person or virtually for the screenings. You can still expect your child’s classroom and specials teachers to schedule live touchpoints (more details to follow) with the class, provide meaningful learning opportunities for students, and offer feedback via Seesaw.
Your family will need to sign up for two different screening sessions:
- Screening #1 (Individual Reading Assessment (Running Record): This one on one time with your child will offer valuable feedback and insight to drive literacy instruction. It will be scheduled through your child’s classroom teacher. Please look for a sign-up in the near future. The screening will occur during the week of September 21st. This screening may take place at Harvest or virtually. The time needed for the screening is based on grade level and will be determined from the teacher’s sign-up.
- Screening #2 (Acadience): This will be scheduled at Liberty School (or in virtual format) where you will gather materials and your child will be screened for 15 minutes by one of our literacy specialists. It will also take place during the week of September 21st.
- Please sign up for a one-on-one 15 min screening slot here. The 1st-5th grade whole group portion of the screening will be done virtually with your classroom teacher using paper copies you will get ahead of time. If your child has an IEP, please communicate with their case manager to determine whether you should sign up for a slot as they may already have plans to conduct this assessment themselves.
- Families with multiple students, please sign up as quickly as possible if you wish for all of your children to be assessed at the same time. Although we recommend your child be screened in person to maintain the integrity of the assessment, we are offering a limited number of virtual spots. You can find more information and important guidelines for each option below:
If you have any questions about any aspect of this assessment plan, please let me or your classroom teacher know.
Again, thank you for a great start to the virtual school year!
Stuck working on your assignment? Your special teacher will be available from 12:00-12:30pm on your assigned day to help you! Find your special teacher’s Zoom link on the SeeSaw Journal page.
Sign up HERE
Monday, September 14th
- Harvest 4 Day – look for a message on SeeSaw from Ms. Sickler
Tuesday, September 15th
Wednesday, September 16th
Thursday, September 17th
- 4pm – PTA Zoom Meeting
Friday, September 18th
- 10am – PTA Zoom Meeting
Save the Dates
Beginning on September 28th, we are planning to begin hybrid. This would mean that students (who selected the “in-person” model of instruction) would attend on an alternating daily schedule, referenced as Blue/Gold days.
Students whose last name begins with:
- A-K would attend on Blue Days
- L-Z would attend on Gold Days
Note, in order to balance the number of students in attendance, classroom teachers may be reaching out to make individual shifts to the model above.
Our plan continues to have October 12th as the date where in-person students begin in-person instruction 5 full days/week.
Join us for our First 2020-2021 PTA Meeting, happening via Zoom. Join us at one of the two times listed below.
- September 17th at 4pm
- Join Zoom Meeting https://salineschools-org.zoom.us/j/94298927781 Meeting ID: 942 9892 7781
- September 18th at 10:00am
- Join Zoom Meeting https://salineschools-org.zoom.us/j/95210009814 Meeting ID: 952 1000 9814
Sweet Tweets of the Week
Did You Know?
Did you know that Saline has created video conference expectations for families and students? Read them HERE.